Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Backyard

I decided to tackle the lifeless backyard this year by planting a cover crop this winter to bring some nutrients to the soil. I waited until the first rains fell to plant so I could avoid watering the seeds to get them started.

When it is time to turn them under, I will add compost and mulch, and maybe a raised bed for veggies in the spring. then hopefully the ground will be a bit more fertile.

I chose Fava beans for where I think I will put the raised bed, and crimson clover and hairy vetch for the rest of the yard. I had also ordered some garbanzo beans and rye, but I may give those to my dad for the hill behind his house along with what's left of the hairy vetch and crimson clover(as my yard is very small and I ordered a pound of each type...

No comments: