Sunday, March 9, 2008

Gardening with natives

Very few of the nurseries that carry native plants seem to be open on the weekends for any length of time.

I was feeling a little down about my goal of creating a hummingbird/butterfly garden with CA Natives, but this weekend, I actually found some. I revisited a nursery I had previously not thought well of (visiting them in January is apparently not a good time). and they had two sections of CA natives. on was tucked way back in the carner, and had 4" pots of plants, not a huge selection, but enough (I bought 3 - a california fuscia, a scarlet monkey flower, and chinese houses plant)and then there was a larger section with 1 & 5 gallon pots that were more shrubs and trees.

Then, I noticed that one of the pots I bought form that nursury had the name of another nurseury in the area that I had been menaing to go to annie annuals, and seeing that Annies carried CA natives, made me want to go there.

Annies is HUGE! and they have a larger section of CA natives I bought about 7 CA Natives (and 3 non-natives for another place in my garden). I'm feeling much better about my plan now.

No comments: