Thursday, December 27, 2007

Vegetable Garden Planning

I'm trying to figure out what to try this spring as far as vegetables go. Last year I tried zucchini, cucumbers, butternut squash, watermelon, tomatoes, spinach, carrots, lettuce, and radishes. All pretty much failed, mostly because I used containers that were too small. but I think I figured out what I did wrong for each of them, so I'll probably try again.

Last year I also purchased a lot of my veggies already started, but after experimenting with seeds in the late summer/early fall, I think I will try all the veggies from seed.

This winter I'm attempting to break up the compacted clay soil and add nutrients with a patch of fava beans. In the spring, I will either build a raised bed over the same spot, or just plant directly in the ground.

No comments: